Postoperative Instructions Following Bilateral Myringotomy and Tube Placement
- Patient may notice some bloody drainage from the ear following tube placement.
- It is not unusual to have muffled hearing for the first 7-10 days.
- It is normal for your ears to feel clogged or have the sensation of fullness for 7-10 days after the procedure.
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol®) and/or ibuprofen (MOTRIN®, Advil®), which can be obtained over the counter, may be used as directed for discomfort.
- When washing hair, try not to get soap/shampoo in your ears.
- If patient is planning on swimming and going to submerge head in non-treated water (lakes, rivers, ocean), ear plugs should be worn.
- It is okay to go swimming in treated water (chlorinated pools) without wearing ear plugs if only going one-two feet under water. If planning on submerging the head deeper, the patient should wear ear plugs.
- Call our office at 952-832-5252 for fever over 101.5°F, persistent drainage from the ears, or any other questions or concerns.
- The patient will need to have a responsible adult who can drive them home from the surgery if performed at an outpatient surgery center.
- The patient will need to have a responsible adult with them for 24 hours following this surgery if it was performed at an outpatient surgery center.